Ozymandias

"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare the lone and level sands stretch far away.

My Photo
Name:
Location: bridgwater, United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Thurs 3 Jan Dislocated shoulder




Photos of Boxing night party in village, a local road seen from the office sidecar and the local primary school

Thurs 3 Jan

8 o’clock start inevitably becomes 8.30 by the time tall lanky Jonathon arrives from his village in a borrowed jeep type thing. With T.O. packed in the back we set off for the Magelang area up between Merapi and another lager but inactive volcano Sumbing. Beautiful scenery as we climb up into the wooded hills, and cooler too – we can have the windows open to enjoy the breeze. Eventually arrive at the village meeting hall in Gumbelan where I’m shown off to the farmers from all around the Pakis district who have gathered for a meeting before they get their business under way. The meeting is conducted in the Java language and I slip off to wander round the village admiring the traditional buildings, contrasting with the few modern flamboyant concrete and brick ones. The older buildings are simple with sawn timber framing, clay pantiles (like Bridgwater) and bamboo infilling. All low under their expansive roves which spread out to protect the walls and give shade to the old folk sitting outside. Am made welcome and offered a variety of food and drinks most of which I am politely able to refuse. Good too to be at an elevation where the grass can be used as a proper lawn and the temperature is like a good summer’s day. The downside I guess is Merapi smoking away just 12 km from the village but at that distance surely you just have to keep an eye on the wind direction when she erupts? A text message from Andrew the Kenyan giant to say he is in hospital with a dislocated shoulder after a m’bike accident. Marie has him, and the hospital organised though and I get his surname and ward number so I can visit tomorrow. We get back to the ranch at sunset where I’m able to make a salad and chips meal prior to a village meeting that has been called to discuss the re-building programme. The meeting is lead by T.O. with the backing af Hidiyat (the mayor) and Ratiman (T.O.’s hit man). I am wearing a sarong like most of the men. The women, about a third of the audience and only one with her hair covered, sit to one side but fully participating. The meeting has been advertised as starting at 8 but the hall is thick with cigarette smoke by the time things get under way at 8.45. T.O. handles the meeting as the inveterate MC and performer that he is while tea a nd refreshments are served (by the men – maybe because there are no women on the committee , but lets not be uncharitable!). The half dozen caged birds are uncharacteristically quiet though whether due to the cigarette smoke of the time of day I have no idea. After about half an hour of Bahasa Java (though I guess Indonesian might be just as incomprehensible for me) I give my apologies to the Dukuh and retire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home